1800s John Lyons & The Old Shop
Records show how the shop attracted a series of butcher families with a devotion to quality meats. First came the Alldays of the early 1800s, who sold the shop to the Corbetts in 1861. The Corbetts handed the keys to Dick Barratt in 1888, who passed the premises on to the Harpers in 1901. Frank Harper then dedicated the next forty years to improving the shop and serving his community.
Around this time, a local butcher named John Lyons set up shop around the corner on Station Road. Clearly going places, he moved his business onto the high street and then to the corner of Lodge Road. All the while raising eight children, the youngest of whom would prove to be a butcher worth his salt just like his father.